Packing and moving can be a huge task, but with the proper tools, it becomes easy. In a time when there are entire stores dedicated to selling different types of containers, a person planning a move could easily get lost just in preparation before packing a single box. Finding perfect boxes for each item is great if you’ve got that kind of time, but for those who do not, we’ve put together this helpful list of must-have packing and moving supplies.
1. Boxes: While it may be ok to score free boxes for lighter-weight items, just know that all boxes are not created equal size, strength, and sturdiness make a difference. You want a variety of box sizes, so heavier items like books go in the smaller boxes and lighter stuff like clothes go in medium and large boxes. And you definitely don’t want boxes that are going to fall apart. Also think about if you need any specialty boxes, like flat screen TV boxes and dish set boxes.
2. Packing tape: You’ll need it for both building boxes and sealing them up once they’re full, so skip the dollar store packing tape and splurge a bit on tape that’s more durable.
3. Cardboard boxes: Moving boxes come in a variety of sizes. Choosing the right box size can be tricky as you don’t want to pack too much into a small box or pay extra for a larger than needed box.
– Small boxes are easy to handle, making them ideal for carrying heavyweight items like silverware, tools, and books.
– Medium boxes are best for toys, electronics, pots and pans, lampshades, and small appliances.
– Large and extra-large boxes are great for light, bulky items such as bedding, pillows, and towels.
– Make boxes easier to handle by not over-stuffing and over-loading them. It will also be better on your back.
– Fill excess space in larger boxes with towels, tablecloths, or sheets. These items can also be used to wrap breakable items like dishes.
– To better protect your belongings, pack light items on the top and heavy items on the bottom
4. Trash Bags: Trash bags are handy for collecting odds and ends that don’t require careful packing.
– Use trash bags to line boxes containing shampoo, lotion, body wash, mouthwash, beverages, and other liquids that can spill.
– Trash bags make it easy to pack clothes and linens. These stuffed trash bags can also double as cushioning and filler inside boxes.
– You can use trash bags for clean-up
5. Moving storage bags: These moving storage bags are great for lighter-weight items such as clothes, linens, comforters, and pillows. They are also great for when you are moving in a hurry and need to throw everything into a bag.
6. Cushion foam: Cushion foam is great to use for plates and bowls that need to be safely protected within your boxes. You’ll still need to use some type of packing paper to pad the boxes to keep the plates and bowls inside from shifting around when being moved.
7. Tape dispenser: Tape dispensers are a great and efficient way to tape your boxes without having to use scissors or ruining your teeth. If you don’t know how these work you can learn how to use a tape dispenser prior to moving.